In the spotlight: Nico Stam
Each month, we aim our spotlight at someone dedicated to the Maastricht region, a beautiful conference destination. This month, that someone is Nico Stam, Deputy Director of Brightlands Maastricht Health Campus & Chief Business Officer and new chairman of the board of the Maastricht Convention Bureau. Each In the spotlight participant will be asked the same five questions. This is the response of Nico Stam:
1. Why do you love the Maastricht region?
“Maastricht has various elements which really appeal to me. First of all: the fact that Maastricht is a college town makes it that the atmosphere is lively and next to that, it is a beautiful, compact, historic city with a European charisma. I live near the city centre and when I straal through the city at night, I regularly feel as though I am on holiday in France. Furthermore, you are out of the city in no time and you’ll find yourself walking or cycling through an amazing hilly country.”
2. What is your most favourite memory?
“At dusk, when silence is returning to the city, a stroll in the city centre and the regular tours on the race bike through the hilly country.”
3. What is your “hidden treasure” and why?
“The historical part of the city around the Helpoort (Hell’s gate) and the ‘Jekerkwartier’ (a picturesque part of the old city), one of the remains of the old city wall.”
4. Why should any conference organiser or association organise their conference in the Maastricht region at least once in their lifetime?
“The Maastricht region offers everything in a very compact and attractive size you could wish for when organizing a conference. Besides the modern congress centre, capable of organizing small as well as larger conferences, the congress centre is within a short distance of the historical city centre with plenty excellent beaneries, terraces, hotels and everything else which will appeal to the conference delegates. ”
5. What does the Maastricht Convention Bureau mean to you?
“First of all, I see the Maastricht Convention Bureau as an important player in the local een ecosystem and part of the network with parties and people who are crucial to furhter develop and internationalize the Brightlands Maastricht Health Campus and the region.”
Earlier editions of this feature:
- Esther Saris, owner of communication bureau EST.21 and President of Maastricht Culinair – July 2017
- Harald M. Peters, General Manager of Crowne Plaza Maastricht – June 2016
- John J.M. Aarts, alderman of economics, mobility, finance, real estate and staff & organization in Maastricht – May 2016
- Rudy MMA Nuijts, MD, PhD Professor of Ophthalmology, University Eye Clinic Maastricht, Medical University Center Maastricht – April 2016
- Jan Kees Dunning, CEO of the Brightlands Maastricht Health Campus – March 2016
- Mark J Post, MD, PhD, Professor and Chair of Physiology aan de Maastricht University – February 2016
Maastricht Convention Bureau
6229 GT Maastricht – the Netherlands
t: +31 43 763 47 30
BTW: NL 812866526B01
Click here for the contactform >>