In the spotlight: Marc Alofs
Each month, we aim our spotlight at someone dedicated to the Maastricht region, a beautiful conference destination. This month, that someone is Marc Alofs, Managing Director of Relais & Chateaux La Butte aux Bois. Each In the spotlight participant will be asked the same five questions. This is the response of Marc Alofs:
1. Why do you love the Maastricht region?
“My cradle was in this region. A lot of traveling to the corners of the world and a working live in the USA and Austria made me realize that the region where we live is a true gem. On the one hand small, but with amazing facilities, a wonderful natural diversity, a lot of culture, a rich history and an incomparable culinary offer. For example: you can find over 40 Michelin stars within one hours drive!”
2. What is your most favourite memory?
“For me personally, that is without a doubt the very strong collaboration in the MCB period with Maartje Beijsens, with all respect for everyone’s dedication! And …. the first convention dinner from the SAP users days I took care of -at that time- 1200 guests.”
3. What is your “hidden treasure” and why?
“That from the busyness of the city, you will find serenity in the green foothills and hills outside the city in a short time! For recreation and visits to wonderful gastronomical businesses around the city such as Château Neercanne and our own La Butte aux Bois.”
4. Why should any conference organiser or association organise their conference in the Maastricht region at least once in their lifetime?
“For years, the ‘smaller’ Maastricht is fighting against national financial ‘bigger brothers’ such as The Hague and Amsterdam with Noorwijk aan Zee. Every time we succeed to convince world conventions to choose for Maastricht. We put national colleagues on the side lines and we are ahead of cities like Prague, San Francisco and Barcelona. This stems from the fact that we fight to get things settled TOGETHER. The ‘smaller’, far away Limburg versus the big Randstad (conurbation of Western Holland). With limited logistic facilities, but with much perseverance we convince international congress organisers of our region, our small size, the character of the city, our attention to detail, our friendliness and our sincere ‘warmth’, our international flair and our sophisticated culinary offer!”
5. What does the Maastricht Convention Bureau mean to you?
“The Maastricht Convention Bureau represents the city and the region in a determined way. Together with the MECC-sales team, the MCB for me is a valuable, international extension of my own sales team. The MCB knows to motivate their partners and to stand together united and solidary. Because of the dynamic world we live in, the MCB always evolves and makes necessary changes. Conventions with convention diners are often on weekdays and therefore often an added value for partners! I am looking forward to more financial strengths for the MCB: this also means more revenues for the MECC and the partners and more spin-off in the city!”
Earlier editions of this feature:
- Prof. Jan G. Nijhuis, MD PhD, gynaecologist- perinatologist, Head dept. Obstetrics & Gynaecology, Director Centre for Genetics, Reproduction and Childhealth (EVK), Medical intervention Centre (MIC) and Oncology Centre (OC), Maastricht University Medical Center (MUMC+) – October 2016
- Philippe Cleuren, owner of Grand Café Maastricht Soiron – September 2016
- Nico Stam, Deputy Director of Brightlands Maastricht Health Campus & Chief Business Officer and new chairman of the board of the Maastricht Convention Bureau – August 2016
- Esther Saris, owner of communication bureau EST.21 and President of Maastricht Culinair – July 2016
- Harald M. Peters, General Manager of Crowne Plaza Maastricht – June 2016
- John J.M. Aarts, alderman of economics, mobility, finance, real estate and staff & organization in Maastricht – May 2016
- Rudy MMA Nuijts, MD, PhD Professor of Ophthalmology, University Eye Clinic Maastricht, Medical University Center Maastricht – April 2016
- Jan Kees Dunning, CEO of the Brightlands Maastricht Health Campus – March 2016
- Mark J Post, MD, PhD, Professor and Chair of Physiology aan de Maastricht University – February 2016
Maastricht Convention Bureau
6229 GT Maastricht - Nederland
t: +31 43 763 47 30
BTW: NL 812866526B01
Click here for the contactform >>